Saturday, 19 June 2010

This is my first blog and it feels pretty scary - but I reckon I'm now ready for it! I've just completed my last module for my OU degree (results due August) and at last I will have achieved something I should have done over 20 years ago - but that's another story...........

My degree was in literature and I thoroughly enjoyed critically appraising 19th century novels and poetry and I even really enjoyed the Bard himself. For my last course though, I thought I would set myself a challenge and actually write something creative myself. This was almost as hard as I had imagined. You could say I write creatively everyday in my job as one of those 'overpaid and over-pensioned' public servants (are we really all lepers now?). It was even harder than that. Imagine having to write about what you think and feel - that was the novelty. Actually not much of a novelty - more a seriously scary journey that I was to embark on. Well, I am still here. I survived the critical appraisal from the tutor (I wimped out on posting stuff to my tutor group but I admired the courage of those who did) and all I have to do is await the results.........

But now that its all over I have promised myself I wouldn't stop writing creatively. It provides an outlet from the dull dull talk of spending cuts and realigning of priorities. You know what? I might even turn that into a haiku or two or maybe even a short story. What a shame someone has already written Yes Minister - its all true you know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment